top of page
Screen Shot 2019-07-05 at 6.10.02 PM.png
Who was Antonio Meucci?
The Italian Inventor

Antonio Meucci was a prolific Italian inventor, engineer, and practical chemist who is most known for developing a form of voice communication apparatus in 1857. He has long had champions arguing that he should be credited with the invention of the telephone. 


Antonio Meucci was born to Amatis Joseph Meucci and Mary Sunday Louis Pepi on Wednesday, April 13, 1808 in Florence, Italy. He attended the Accademia di Bell' Arte (Academy of Fine Arts) in Florence, where he studied chemical and mechanical engineering, and electricity in particular. These subjects laid the foundation for his future as an inventor.


In 1833, Meucci searched for a workplace that was not oppressive and would be a source of new ideas, so he began looking toward theatre. He took a well-paying job working at the Teatro della Pergola Opera House in

Florence as a stage technician, assisting Artemio Canovetti. It was at this theatre that he met costume designer, Ester Mochi, who later became his wife on August 7, 1834 in the church of Santa Maria Novella in Florence.

Havana, Cuba 


In October 1835, Meucci and his wife left Florence, never to return. They emigrated to Havana Cuba. Antonio became the Chief Engineer at the Great Tacón Theater and Ester became the Director of Costumes. 


The Meucci family made Havana their home. Antonio pursued numerous experimental lines of research developing a new method for electroplating metals. This new art was applied to all sorts of Cuban military equipment, resulting in Meucci gaining fame and recognition as a scientific researcher and developer of new technologies. During his time in Havana, Meucci invented a water purification system for use in the Tacón Opera house for drinking purposes and for a fountain system.


The decision to move to Havana was indeed a good one. A young and dreamy romantic, Meucci found the beauty of theater work quite

entrancing and inspirational. Genuine acceptance, and loving recognition added joy to the lives of the young couple.


Meucci held a fascination with physiological conditions and their electrical responses, and began studying "electro-medicine," which was popularly practiced throughout Europe and the Americas. Through experimentation, he developed a method of using short electrical impulses to treat pain with the aim of curing illnesses altogether.


An astonishing revelation was made when a man suffering from migraine headaches sought out Meucci and his technology. Treatment began as Meucci placed a small copper electrode both his and the man's mouth, sending a mild stimulating current to the patient. Meucci felt the man's shout of surprise in his own mouth, discovering what would later be known

as the "electrophonic" effect, or the phenomenon later know as "physiophony." The man expressed his thanks and left feeling relieved

that his migraine had broken. 


Meucci verified the physiophonic phenomenon repeatedly. Upon experiencing the now famed effect, visitors were awed. Building upon this discovery, it was in Havana that Meucci conceived of the first telephonic system in 1849, when Alexander Graham Bell was only 2 years old.


Staten Island, NY - USA


When the "New World" finally opened its doors to European immigrants, there were no certainties for those who came to work and live. Established families and bureaucrats despised and were so threatened by these "foreigner people," that they set up legislation for the purpose of limiting their upward movements by creating a "middle class" economic stratum that has remained in force to this day. 


In 1850, Meucci and his wife left Havana to immigrate to the United States, settling in the Rosebank area of Staten Island, New York, where they would live for the remainder of their lives. Meucci developed a formula for

smokeless candles and opened a small factory for their production on his property. These smokeless candles were sought by neighbors, churches and general stores, earning him a moderate income upon which he could survive.


By now, Ester was completely crippled with arthritis and confined to the upstairs bedroom. Meucci installed a small teletrofonic system, connecting Ester's room to his small factory, so he could speak to her throughout the day. It was here in Rosebank, Staten Island that he developed and improved upon his teletrofono. 


Meucci and Ester took boarders from time to time in order to afford minimum luxuries. When Giuseppe Garibaldi, later to be known as the "Hero of Two Worlds," was exiled from Italy, he came to stay with the Meucci family. Meucci and Garibaldi developed a friendship and walked, hunted, and fished in the countryside of Staten Island. He and Garibaldi manufactured candles and other products, supporting themselves and the needs of others. 


The First Electromagnetic Telephone


Meucci methodically explored different means of transmitting speech over vibrating electric currents. From 1850 to 1862, he developed more than 30 different models, with twelve distinct variations. His first models utilized the vibrating loop principle discovered in Havana. 


Later, paper cones were replaced with tin cylinders to increase the resonant ring. He experimented with thin membranes, set in vibration by contact with the vibrating copper strip in a model resembling the telephone as we know it.


His teletrofoni were now fully formed, handheld, cup shaped devices. Meucci kept diagrams, notebooks, and models proving the success

of his designs. In 1858, a sketch was made by painter Nestore Corradi illustrating long-distance communication, commonly known as

"Corradi's drawing."


It was lack of funding alone the prevented Meucci from making large-scale demonstrations of his revolutionary system. In addition, prejudices associated with his nationality prevented New York financiers from

knowing of his developments, so he turned to his own compatriots for assistance.


Meucci began looking for funding in Italy from Italian financiers. In 1861, Meucci performed a long-distance demonstration featuring a famous Italian opera singer, which brought considerable attention and was published in L'Eco d'Italia, an Italian newspaper in New York City. Unfortunately, the distraction of the wars of the Risorgimento made it nearly impossible to attract the investments he'd hoped for.




1861, Meucci was led to poverty by trials held against him by fraudulent collectors, resulting in the auctioning of his Staten Island cottage. The purchaser allowed the Meucci's to live in the cottage without paying rent, but the Meucci's private finances dwindled so that they soon had to live on public funds and by depending on friends.


In July 1871, while traveling from Manhattan to Staten Island, Meucci was nearly killed when the steam engine of the ferryboat Westfield exploded, leaving him severely burned. Meucci languished in a hospital bed for months. His financial and health state was so bad that his wife Ester sold his original teletrofono models to a second-hand dealer for six dollars to raise money for his expenses. 

The Telettrofono Company and Caveat

While recovering from injuries, Meucci set up an agreement with Angelo Zilio Grandi (Secretary of the Italian Consulate in New York, Angelo Antonio Tremeschin (entrepreneur), and Sereno G. P. Breguglia Tremeschin (businessman), forming the Telettrofono Company. The agreement was notarized by Angelo Bertolino, a Notary Public of New York on December 12, 1871. 


Meucci was warned not to bring anything to the American industrial market without first protecting himself by legal means, which meant he needed a patent at the cost of two-hundred and fifty dollars. Since he could not afford the patent, he settled the matter by obtaining a temporary one-year caveat for twenty dollars, funded by his new business partners.


On December 28, 1871, Meucci had the legal caveat numbered 3335,"Sound Telegraph," from the U.S. Patent Office, which gives a brief

description of the invention. Given the low fee of the caveat, the lawyer dictated the caveat specification in half an hour and did not include some important information. Meucci wrote a letter to his lawyer to try to correct the imprecision, but the lawyer did not take his suggestions into consideration, assuring Meucci that the abridged caveat would provide enough protection. 


The Telettrofono Company only lived for a short time, collapsing after two of the partners left the United States, withdrawing their shares and the third died the following year. 


Underwater Communication 


In 1872-1873, upon request by William Carroll, a diver, Meucci constructed a special marine telephone to allow a diver to communicate with the mother ship while underwater. On July 8, 1880, Meucci he filed a Patent application for this device.


Western Union Telegraph


In the summer of 1872, Meucci and his friend Angelo Bertolino went to Edward B. Grant, Vice President of Western Union Telegraph Company of New York, to ask for permission to test his telephone apparatus on the

companies telegraph lines. He gave Grant a description of his prototype and a copy of his caveat, encouraged by Grant that he would be contacted shortly for the test run. Hours of waiting became days. So infuriated over this betrayal of trust, Meucci maintained a vigil at the Union Office, becoming an annoying eyesore. In 1874, after two years of repeated visits

asking for his models and documentation, Grant finally answered that all of Meucci's materials had been lost.


On December 28, 1874, Meucci's caveat expired. In 1876, Alexander Graham Bell, an employee working in the Western Union laboratories,

is granted a patent on the telephone. Meucci repeatedly protested, sending letters to newspapers, claiming the invention as his.


The Trial


In March 1886, Bell was taken to court in the case "The U.S. Government vs. Alexander Graham Bell and the Bell Company," for fraud, collusion and deception in obtainment of the patent. 


The trial lasted 11 years, closing in 1897 due to the death of the presiding judge and also because Bell's patent had expired. This left no winners or losers, except for the lawyers who were paid significant amounts during those years. 


In 1886, two days after the Government vs. Bell case had begun, the Bell Telephone Company set up another trial, "The U.S. Government vs. Antonio Meucci," which, if ruled quickly, would create a situation of res adjudicata in the former trial. Plainly, this meant that if a case had already been judged, a similar case could not be judged again. 


Meucci had limited existing evidence to prove his priority of the electromagnetic telephone. His models had been sold and then lost at Western Union. Furthermore, the newspaper article describing his work in L'Eco d'Italia appeared to have been destroyed in a fire and no copies could be found. As a result, Meucci had to recount in court what he wrote for the newspaper.


One of the most important pieces of evidence was Meucci's Memorandum Book, produced by Rider & Clark, which noted drawings and records from 1862 - 1882. In the trial, Meucci was accused of having produced records after Bell's invention and backdated them. As proof, the prosecutor produced the fact that Rider & Clark was founded only in 1863. In the trial,

Meucci said that William E. Rider himself, one of the owners, had given him a copy of the Memorandum Book in 1862. The judge, a well-known

proponent of anti-immigration policy, did not believe him. 


On July 19, 1887, Judge William Wallace in the case of "The U.S. Government vs. Antonio Meucci" ruled in favor of Bell. Wallace's ruling stated that Meucci was not able to provide adequate evidence, from the caveat or otherwise, that contained elements of an electric speaking telephone that would give him the same priority over or interfere with the Bell patent. Wallace also refuted that Meucci understood the key principles of the invention, describing Meucci's system as an elaborate "string telephone." He further concluded that Meucci was deliberately involved in attempts to defraud investors.


Throughout the rest of his life, penniless on Staten Island, Meucci maintained confident resolve of his life's work: "...the telephone which I invented and which I first made known and which, as you know, was stolen from me." 


On June 11, 2002, long after his death, the U.S. Congress passed House Resolution 269, introduced by Rep. Vito Fossella of Staten Island, which recognizes the life and achievements of Antonio Meucci, and his work in the invention of the telephone.

Chi era Antonio Meucci?
L'inventore Italiano

Antonio Meucci fu un prolifico inventore e scienziato italiano, conosciuto soprattutto per l'invenzione, nel 1857, di un apparecchio di trasmissione della voce. Molti pensano che l'invenzione del telefono dovrebbe essere attribuita a lui.

Figlio di Amatis Meucci e Maria Domenica Bebi, Antonio Meucci nacque a Firenze il 13 aprile 1808. Lì frequentò l'Accademia di Belle Arti, dove studiò chimica e ingegneria meccanica e in particolare elettrologia. Queste materie costituirono le basi per la sua futura carriera di inventore.

Nel 1833 Meucci cercava un'occupazione che non fosse opprimente e che potesse diventare una fonte di nuove idée, iniziò così a cercare un posto di lavoro nell'ambiente teatrale. Accettò un posto ben remunerato al Teatro della Pergola, a Firenze, come assistente del capo macchinista Artemio Canovetti. Fu proprio a teatro che conobbe la costumista Ester Mochi, che il 7 agosto 1834, nella chiesa di Santa Maria Novella a Firenze, divenne sua moglie.

Avana, Cuba 

Nell'ottobre 1835, Meucci e sua moglie lasciarono Firenze per non tornarvi mai più. Emigrarono a Cuba. Lavorarono entrambi al Gran Teatro de Tacón, Antonio come sovrintendente tecnico ed Ester come capo costumista.

E così l'Avana divenne la nuova dimora dei coniugi Meucci. Lì Antonio si dedicò a numerose ricerche e sperimentazioni, sviluppando un nuovo metodo di galvanoplastica dei metalli. Questo nuovo metodo fu applicato alle strumentazioni dell'esercito cubano, rendendo famoso Meucci e facendolo riconoscere come un ricercatore scientifico in grado di sviluppare nuove tecnologie. Durante il soggiorno all'Avana, Meucci inventò un sistema di purificazione dell'acqua che venne usato al Gran Teatro de Tacón per rendere l'acqua potabile e per alimentare un sistema di fontane.

La decisione di trasferirsi all'Avana era stata dunque buona. Un Meucci giovane e sognatore apprezzò la natura ispiratrice e affascinante della vita lavorativa nel teatro. L'accoglienza sincera e l'apprezzamento devoto contribuirono a rendere felice la vita della giovane coppia. 
Meucci era affascinato dalle condizioni fisiologiche e alle risposte del corpo a stimoli elettrici e cominciò così a studiare "elettro-medicina", materia ai tempi abitualmente praticata sia in Europa che nel continente americano. Grazie a queste sperimentazioni, sviluppò un metodo in cui usava brevi impulsi elettrici per il trattamento del dolore con l'intento di curare le malattie.

Una rivelazione straordinaria si ebbe quando un uomo che soffriva di emicrania si rivolse a Meucci. Questi pose un piccolo elettrodo di rame sulla lingua del paziente e sulla propria e mandò una leggera scossa elettrica al paziente. Meucci sentì il grido di sorpresa dell'uomo nella sua stessa bocca, scoprendo quello che fu poi chiamato effetto "elettrofonico" o il fenomeno successivamente noto come "fisiofonia". L'uomo lo ringraziò e se ne andò guarito dalla sua emicrania.

Meucci dimostrò ripetutamente il fenomeno fisiofonico. I pazienti, sperimentando l'effetto ormai noto, rimanevano sbigottiti. Sviluppando ulteriormente questa scoperta, Meucci arrivò a concepire il primo sistema telefonico nel 1849, quando Alexander Bell aveva solo due anni.

Staten Island, NY - USA


Quando il "Nuovo Mondo" aprì le frontiere agli emigranti europei, per coloro che arrivavano per lavorare e vivere lì non c'era alcuna certezza. Le famiglie influenti e i burocrati disprezzavano gli "stranieri" e se ne sentivano minacciati, pertanto posero in essere una legislazione atta a limitare l'ascesa sociale dei nuovi arrivati, creando la "classe media" che esiste ancora oggi.

Nel 1850 Meucci e sua moglie lasciarono l'Avana ed emigrarono negli Stati Uniti, stabilendosi a Rosebank, un quartiere di Staten Island, New York, dove vissero per il resto della loro vita. Meucci sviluppò una formula per la creazione di candele senza fumo e aprì, nella sua proprietà, una piccola fabbrica per la loro produzione. La vendita di queste candele senza fumo ai vicini, alle parrocchie a ai negozi generava un piccolo introito che gli permetteva di sopravvivere.

Già da allora Ester era immobilizzata a causa di una forte artrite e per questo confinata a letto. Per poter parlare con lei, Meucci installò un piccolo sistema teletrofonico che collegava la stanza di Ester con la piccola fabbrichetta. Fu proprio a Rosenbank, Staten Island che sviluppò e perfezionò il suo teletrofono.

Per potersi permettere dei piccolo lussi, Meucci ed Ester, dovevano di tanto in tanto prendere dei pensionanti. Quando Giuseppe Garibaldi, che divenne poi l'Eroe dei Due Mondi, fu esiliato dall'Italia, andò a vivere dai Meucci. Tra i due si sviluppò una forte amicizia ed insieme andavano a pescare e cacciare nelle campagne di Staten Island. Insieme a Garibaldi, Meucci produceva candele e altri prodotti che permettevano il sostentamento loro e di altri.

Il primo telefono elettromagnetico


Meucci sperimentò in modo sistematico i vari mezzi possibili per trasmettere la voce attraverso vibrazioni elettriche. Dal 1850 al 1862 sviluppò più di 30 modelli, con 12 diverse varianti. I primi modelli utilizzavano il principio dell'anello vibrante scoperto a l'Avana.
Successivamente, ai coni di carta si sostituirono dei cilindri di latta per aumentare la risonanza. Meucci fece esperimenti con membrane sottili, messe in vibrazione per contatto con le strisce di rame vibrante in un modello simile al telefono che conosciamo.

A questo punto il teletrofono era un apparecchio completo, maneggevole, a forma di tazza. Meucci conservò gli schemi, gli appunti e i modelli comprovanti il successo dei suoi progetti. Nel 1858, il pittore Nestore Corradi disegnò una scena che illustrava la comunicazione a distanza, chiamata comunemente "Il disegno di Corradi".

Solo per mancanza di fondi, Meucci non poté fare dimostrazioni su vasta scala del suo sistema rivoluzionario. Oltre a ciò, i pregiudizi verso la sua nazionalità gli impedirono di far conoscere la sua invenzione ai finanziatori newyorkesi, così che egli si rivolse ai propri connazionali per aiuto.

Iniziò a cercare finanziatori in Italia. Nel 1861 Meucci offrì una dimostrazione a distanza, presentando un famoso cantante d'opera italiano, che gli procurò una notevole attenzione e che fu pubblicata nell"Eco d'Italia", un giornale italiano di New York. Sfortunatamente, le guerre del Risorgimento distrassero i potenziali investitori e resero quasi impossibile ottenere i finanziamenti nei quali aveva sperato.




Nel 1861, Meucci, ridotto in povertà dai processi intentati contro di lui da collezionisti disonesti, dovette ipotecare la casa di Staten Island. L'acquirente gli permise di continuare a vivere nell'abitazione senza dover pagare l'affitto, ma le loro risorse finanziarie si erano ridotte al punto che i Meucci iniziarono a vivere grazie ai sussidi sociali e all'aiuto degli amici.

Nel luglio 1871 durante la traversata da Manhattan a Staten Island, Meucci rimase gravemente ustionato dall'esplosione della macchina a vapore del traghetto Westfield. Rimase ricoverato per alcuni mesi in ospedale. Il suo stato di salute e la sua situazione finanziaria erano tali che sua moglie Ester, per poter affrontare le spese, vendette i modelli originali del teletrofono a un rigattiere per 6 dollari.


La Teletrofono Company e il brevetto temporaneo

Durante la convalescenza, Meucci fondò insieme ad Angelo Zilio Grandi (Segretario del Consolato Italiano a New York), Angelo Antonio Tremeschin (imprenditore), e Sereno G. P. Breguglia Tremeschin (uomo d'affari) la Compagnia Teletrofono. L'atto di fondazione fu registrato il 12 dicembre 1871 a New York dal notaio Angelo Bertolino. 

Meucci fu avvertito di non presentare niente sul mercato americano senza prima essersi protetto legalmente, il che significava che avrebbe avuto bisogno di un brevetto del costo di 250 dollari. Non potendosi permettere l'acquisto di tale brevetto, riuscì ad ottenere al costo di 20 dollari, finanziati dei suoi nuovi soci d'affari, un brevetto temporaneo. 

Il 28 dicembre 1871, Meucci ricevette dal U.S. Patent Office il brevetto temporaneo nr. 3335, "Telegrafo con suono" , che descriveva brevemente l'invenzione. Vista l'economicità del brevetto temporaneo, l'avvocato dettò le specifiche del brevetto in solo mezz'ora tralasciando molte informazioni importanti. Meucci scrisse una lettera al suo avvocato per cercare di correggere le imprecisioni, ma questi non prese in considerazione i suoi suggerimenti, assicurandolo che il brevetto abbreviato lo avrebbe protetto sufficientemente.

La Teletrofono Company durò poco. Dopo che due dei soci lasciarono gli Stati Uniti, ritirando le loro quote e la morte del terzo socio, l'anno successivo, la ditta chiuse. 


Comunicazione sott'acqua 


Nel 1872-1873, a seguito della richiesta del sub William Carroll, Meucci costruì un telefono speciale che permetteva al sub, mentre era sott'acqua, di comunicare con la nave. L'8 luglio 1880 Meucci inoltrò la domanda di brevetto per questo apparecchio.


La Western Union Telegraph


Nell'estate 1872, Meucci e il suo amico Angelo Bertolino si presentarono da Edward B. Grant, Vice Presidente della Western Union Telegraph Company di New York, per chiedere il permesso di poter testare l'apparecchio telefonico sulle linee telegrafiche della ditta. Meucci, incoraggiato da Grant, che gli promise che da lì a breve sarebbe stato contattato per una dimostrazione, lasciò una descrizione del suo prototipo e una copia del brevetto temporaneo. Le ore di attesa diventarono giorni. Infuriato per il tradimento subito, Meucci prese ad appostarsi nell'uffico della ditta, diventando presto una presenza indesiderata. Nel 1874, dopo due anni di continue visite da parte di Meucci atte a riavere indietro i modelli e la documentazione lasciati, Grant finalmente reagì, dicendo che il materiale era andato perduto.

Il 28 dicembre 1874 il brevetto temporaneo di Meucci scadde. Nel 1876 ad Alexander Graham Bell, un impiegato dei laboratori della Western Union, venne rilasciato il brevetto del telefono. Meucci protestò tenacemente, inviando lettere ai giornali, rivendicando la paternità della sua invenzione.


Il processo


Nel marzo 1886, iniziò il processo a Bell nel caso "Il Governo Americano contro Alexander Graham Bell e la Bell Company", per frode, collusione 
e raggiro per il conseguimento del brevetto.

Il processo durò 11 anni, terminando nel 1897 a causa della morte del giudice e anche perché il brevetto di Bell era scaduto. Il caso rimase senza vincitori né vinti, eccetto per gli avvocati, che durante quegli anni si arricchirono.

Nel 1886, due giorni dopo l'avvio del processo "Governo Americano contro Bell", iniziò un altro processo, "Il Governo Americano contro Antonio Meucci", che, se terminato velocemente, avrebbe portato nell'altro processo a una sentenza di Passato in Giudicato. Ciò perché, se un caso è già stato giudicato, un caso analogo non può essere nuovamente giudicato. 

Meucci aveva poche prove per dimostrare che la sua scoperta del telefono elettromagnetico era precedente a quella di Bell. I suoi modelli erano stati prima venduti e poi persi alla Western Union. Inoltre l'articolo che descriveva il suo lavoro, pubblicato sull'Eco d'Italia risultò essere stato bruciato in un incendio e non se ne riuscì a trovare nessuna copia. Alla fine, Meucci dovette raccontare alla corte quello che aveva scritto allora per il quotidiano.

Una delle prove più importanti era il Diario di Meucci, edito da Rider & Clark, che mostrava i disegni e le note dal 1862 al 1882. Nel processo Meucci fu accusato di aver prodotto tali note dopo l'invenzione di Bell e di averle retrodatate. A prova di ciò, l'avvocato dell'accusa dimostrò che la Rider & Clark era stata fondata solamente nel 1863. Meucci controbatté dicendo che William E. Rider, uno dei fondatori della ditta, gli aveva dato personalmente una copia del suo diario nel 1862.
Il giudice, un noto sostenitore della politica anti-immigratoria, non gli credette. 

Il 19 luglio 1887, il giudice William Wallace nel caso"Gli Stati Uniti contro Antonio Meucci" emise la sua sentenza in favore di Bell. Wallace dichiarò che Meucci non era in grado di presentare elementi sufficienti, né nel brevetto temporaneo né altrove, che contenessero elementi di un telefono elettrico tali da costituire dei precedenti rispetto al brevetto di Bell.

Wallace confutò anche l'idea che Meucci conoscesse i principi chiave dell'invenzione, descrivendo l'apparecchio di Meucci come un elaborato telefono con fili. Concluse inoltre che Meucci era dolosamente coinvolto nel tentativo di frodare gli investitori.

Per tutto il resto della vita, senza il becco di un quattrino a Staten Island, Meucci si mantenne fiducioso nei confronti del lavoro della sua intera vita: "... il telefono che io ho inventato e per primo fatto conoscere e che, come sapete, mi fu rubato".

L'11 luglio 2002, molto dopo la sua morte, il Senato approvò la risoluzione 269, presentata da Vito Fossella di Staten Island, che riconosce i risultati conseguiti da Antonio Meucci e il suo ruolo nell'invenzione del telefono.

bottom of page