2020 Antonio Meucci Young Inventors Competition
Time & Location
About the Event
The application deadline has been extended to April 3, 2020.
Throughout his lifetime Antonio Meucci was responsible for many inventions, improvements and ideas. These innovations included smokeless candles, a tea and coffee filtering system, oil/kerosene lamps, and most notably, the telephone.
In keeping with the legacy of inventor Antonio Meucci, The Garibaldi-Meucci Museum is pleased to announce the: 2020 Antonio Meucci Young Inventors Competition.
Students are to present an original idea for a new invention or for an improvement to an existing one. The invention can be anything from a kitchen gadget to a machine. Cash prizes will be awarded to individuals or groups for the best inventions.
The contest is open to NYC students in grades 3-8
Categories: grades 3-4, grades 5-6, grades 7-8
- 4 first-place winners will receive a cash prize of $200
- 4 second-place winners will receive a cash prize of $100
- 4 third-place winners will receive a cash prize of $75
- 4 fourth-place winners will receive a cash prize of $50
The judges will be looking for:
- Simple, creative solutions to common problems
- An understanding of the scientific principles behind the invention Scientific principles can refer to any scientific theory. For example, the theory of evolution or theory of relativity.
For group entries, the awarded prize will be presented to the group representative who will distribute the prize equally to the group members.